Tuesday, July 14, 2009

PURPLE PURSE VS. DEAD LAPTOP

Here's the latest on the purple purse. It arrived last Tuesday, the same day we moved into the new Boneyard. I took it as a sign I was supposed to keep it even though I really shouldn't. I fell in love. I even took an informal poll around the office and everyone agreed they loved the color and it was my style, which was probably a polite way of saying they wouldn't be caught dead with a purple purse. My boyfriend however, said it " looked like something the Real Housewives of New Jersey would wear," and then offered me some advice on spending. Never being one who likes to be told what to do, you can imagine how much I enjoyed that even though he was right. My Mom, who was vistiting from Virginia with my Dad for the weekend, brought up the best point. I was complaining about how my laptop is about to die and pop ups keep warning me I have "very low disk space!" My mom said simply, "How many purple purses would it take to buy a new laptop?" Good ? I have money for accessories, but not big ticket items like computers. I never really thought about it like that. I should think of purple purses as a form of currency. Groceries cost a 1/4 of a purse and a laptop costs 4 purple purses, etc. That's some economic theory I can understand instead of things like: if your outgo exceeds your income, then your upkeep is your downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment